As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.
Are you ready to upgrade your DJI drone and looking to sell your current one?
Selling a used drone can be a bit daunting, but with the right preparation and strategy, you can make the process smooth and successful.
This article will guide you through the steps you need to take in order to sell your DJI drone, from choosing the right marketplace to cleaning and packing your device.
How To Sell My DJI Drone?
To sell your DJI drone, follow these steps:
- Prepare your drone: Deregister your drone, clean it, and gather all accessories and documentation.
- Choose a marketplace: Options include eBay, Amazon, Gumtree, Craigslist, and drone-specific marketplaces like DroneTrader.com. Each platform has its pros and cons, such as fees, seller protections, and potential sale prices.
- Set a fair price: Research similar drones on various marketplaces to determine a competitive price for your drone.
- Write a compelling ad: Use catchy headlines, clear photos, and detailed descriptions to make your listing stand out. Highlight any unique features or accessories that come with the drone.
- Be prepared to negotiate: Buyers may be looking for a good deal, so be prepared to negotiate on price. However, don’t be afraid to hold firm on your price if you feel it’s fair.
- Provide a way for potential buyers to contact you: Depending on the platform, this might be through the platform’s messaging system. Be honest in your listing to prevent misunderstandings and disputes down the line.
Preparing to Sell Your DJI Drone
Before you start getting rid of your beloved dji drone, make sure you follow these steps to prepare it for its new owner.
1. Deregister Your Drone
The need for deregistration depends on how you initially registered with the FAA.
Two Types of FAA Registration
There are two types of FAA registrations:
- Part 107 Registration: If you registered under this category, it means you’re using the drone for commercial purposes (like filmmaking or drone photography services). In this case, each drone you fly is individually registered and linked to your account. When you sell one of these drones, you need to deregister it.
- Recreational Flyer Registration: If you’re a hobbyist and fly drones for fun, you likely registered under this category. Here, your drones aren’t individually linked to your account. Instead, you get one registration number for all drones you fly. If you’re selling a drone registered this way, you don’t need to deregister it. Simply remove your FAA registration number sticker or marking from the drone before selling.
2. reset dji drone to factory settings
To reset your DJI drone to factory settings, you can follow these steps using the DJI Assistant 2 software:
- Download and install the DJI Assistant 2 software from the official DJI website.
- Connect your DJI drone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Launch the DJI Assistant 2 software and log in to your DJI account if necessary.
- Select your connected drone from the list of devices.
- Click on ‘Settings’ in the DJI Assistant 2 interface.
- Select ‘Reset Settings’ to initiate the factory reset process.
Please note that the process may vary slightly depending on the specific DJI drone model you have. Some models, like the DJI Mini 2 and DJI Mini 3 Pro, do not have a direct factory reset option. In such cases, you can refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2 to achieve a similar result,
For DJI drones that use the DJI GO 4 app, follow these steps:
- Install the latest DJI GO 4 App from the official DJI website.
- Connect your DJI drone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open the DJI GO 4 app on your computer and click on ‘Device’ in the top left corner of the screen.
- Click on ‘Drone Reset’. A pop-up will appear with multiple reset options to select from.
- Select ‘Factory Reset’ and press the shutter button for 3 seconds.
- Once the action is completed, your drone factory reset will be done.
- Unplug the USB cord and turn off the controller.
Remember that the reset process may vary depending on your drone model, so it’s essential to consult your drone’s user manual or the manufacturer’s website for specific instructions.
3. Clear the SD Card in Your Drone
If your drone comes with an SD card, it’s important to do two things before you sell it.
Save Your Photos and Videos
First, you need to save any photos or videos from the SD card. This is because they belong to you, and you probably don’t want them to be seen by the drone’s new owner. Here’s how to do it:
- Take the SD card out of the drone.
- Insert it into a computer or laptop that has an SD card slot.
- Open the SD card folder on your computer.
- Copy the photos and videos to your computer.
Wipe the SD Card Clean
Once you’ve saved your photos and videos, the next step is to wipe the SD card clean. Here’s how:
- While the SD card is still in your computer, find its folder.
- Right-click on the folder.
- Select “Format” from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the prompts to erase everything on the SD card.
This ensures that the new owner gets an empty SD card and your photos and videos stay private.
4. Save the Drone’s Flight Details
Finally, some potential buyers may want to know about the drone’s flight history. This is like the history of a used car. It can give the buyer a better idea of how the drone has been used. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your drone to the DJI app on your phone.
- Go to the “Flight Record” section of the app.
- Save or write down the information there. This could include how many times the drone has flown, how long it has flown for, and more.
Doing these things can make selling your drone a smoother process!
5. Clean Your Drone
First, it’s important to make your drone look its best. Just like when you sell a used car, you’d want to give it a wash. The same goes for your drone. A clean drone can indicate that you’ve taken good care of it.
Here’s a simple way to clean your drone:
- Use a soft brush or a can of compressed air to remove dust from the drone’s body and the camera lens. Make sure to be gentle, especially around the delicate parts like the camera.
- For stubborn dirt or smudges, you can lightly dampen a microfiber cloth and gently wipe them away.
Remember, do not use water directly on the drone, as it could damage the electronics.
6. Gather All Accessories
Next, collect all the accessories that came with your drone. This could include things like:
- Extra propellers
- Spare batteries
- Charging cables
Having all the accessories can add value to your drone and make it more appealing to potential buyers.
7. Arrange Your Drone and Accessories for Photos
After cleaning your drone and collecting all the accessories, it’s a good idea to take some photos. Photos can help potential buyers see exactly what they’re getting.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Find a well-lit, clean space for your photo shoot.
- Lay out your drone and all its accessories. You can arrange them neatly around the drone.
- Take photos from different angles, showing the overall condition and any specific features or accessories.
By cleaning your drone, collecting all its accessories, and taking clear photos, you are increasing the chance of selling your drone quickly and at a good price. It’s like saying to the buyers, “This drone has been well-cared for and it’s ready for its next adventure with you!“
Determine a Fair Price For Pre-Owned DJI Drone
Find out the average price for used drones of your model. The condition of your drone and any included extras should also influence your price.
Research Your Drone’s Model
The first thing you need to do is to understand your drone’s market value. This means finding out how much people are willing to pay for your specific model of DJI drone. Do this by:
- Look up your drone model on popular online marketplaces like eBay, Amazon, and drone-specific resale sites.
- Search for used drones of your model and take note of the prices.
- Pay attention to how the condition and included accessories of these drones compare to yours.
Assess Your Drone’s Condition
Next, you need to honestly evaluate the condition of your DJI drone. Is it like new, good, fair, or poor?
Here’s what each of these mean:
|Condition||Description||Impact on Price|
|Like New||The DJI drone looks and functions as if it’s brand new. There are no signs of wear and tear.||High – A DJI drone in like-new condition can often be sold for a price close to its original retail price.|
|Good||The DJI drone is fully functional but has some minor signs of wear.||Medium-High – A DJI drone in good condition might sell for slightly less than one in like-new condition. The price reduction would account for the minor signs of wear.|
|Fair||The DJI drone has noticeable signs of use, like scratches, but it still works correctly.||Medium-Low – A DJI drone in fair condition would likely be priced lower due to visible wear and tear. However, it still works correctly, so it’s worth more than a poor condition drone.|
|Poor||The DJI drone has significant wear or doesn’t function properly in some ways.||Low – A DJI drone in poor condition would likely be sold at a much lower price. Buyers would take on the risk of needing to repair or deal with a worn-out drone.|
Typically, drones in better condition can be sold for a higher price.
Consider Your Drone’s Extras
If you’re including extra accessories with your drone, these can increase the price. Accessories might include spare propellers, extra batteries, carrying cases, and more. The original box and manual can also add value.
Setting a Fair Price
Now, with your research and evaluation done, you can determine a fair price:
- Use the prices you found during your research as a starting point.
- Adjust this price based on the condition of your drone. If your drone is in better condition than most you found during your research, you might be able to price it a bit higher. If it’s in worse condition, you’ll likely need to go lower.
- Add a bit more if you’re including valuable extras.
Remember, setting a fair price is important to attract potential buyers while ensuring you get the value you deserve for your used DJI drone. Good luck with your sale!
Create a Detailed DJI Drone Listing
Finally, it’s time to list your drone for sale. Write a detailed description of your drone, include information on its condition, features, and any included accessories. The photos you took will also be useful for this step.
Title of Your Listing
Your title should be clear and specific, including the brand, model, and condition of the drone.
For example: “Used DJI Phantom 4 Pro Drone – Excellent Condition
This is where you provide more information about the drone. Here are some points to consider:
- Drone Model and Specifications: Highlight the key features and specs of your drone. This includes things like flight time, range, camera specs, etc.
- Condition: Describe the condition of the drone. Be honest about any scratches, damage, or functionality issues.
- Accessories Included: List any additional items you’re including with the drone. This might be spare propellers, extra batteries, controller, carrying case, original box, manuals, etc.
- Flight History: If available, share details about the drone’s usage, like number of flights, total flight time, and any significant incidents like crashes.
Include several high-quality photos taken from different angles to give potential buyers a visual representation of what they’re purchasing. Photograph the drone, the controller, any accessories, and the original packaging if available.
After your research and consideration, list the price you’re asking for. You may also want to specify if the price is negotiable.
Provide a way for potential buyers to contact you with questions or offers. Depending on where you’re listing your drone, this might just be through the platform’s messaging system.
Remember, honesty is key in your listing. Accurate and detailed listings help prevent misunderstandings and disputes down the line. By doing this right, you’ll increase your chances of a smooth sale.
Choosing a Marketplace
When it comes to choosing a marketplace to sell your used DJI drone, there are several options to consider.
- eBay is known to offer the most money, but also charges fees and has no protections for sellers.
- Amazon is another popular option, but may not offer as much for your drone.
- Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree are free to list and sell
- Craigslist has no fees but also has no protections for sellers.
Consider your priorities and do your research to choose the best marketplace for your needs.
If you’re looking to make some cash by parting ways with your trusty flying companion, eBay might just be the perfect platform for you to connect with potential buyers and earn top dollar for your device.
With millions of users and a reputation for being a reliable online marketplace, eBay offers a range of selling strategies to help you get the most out of your drone.
To start, make sure to set a fair price based on the condition of your drone, its make and model, and the current market demand. Take advantage of eBay’s ad creation tools to write a catchy headline and include high-quality photos that showcase your device’s features and accessories.
When you’re ready to ship your drone, consider using eBay’s shipping options to ensure a safe and secure delivery. You can choose to offer free shipping or set a flat rate for your device, and eBay provides shipping labels and tracking information to help you keep tabs on your package.
As for payment methods, eBay offers a variety of options, including PayPal, credit cards, and even Apple Pay. Just be aware that eBay does charge a portion of the sale price, so factor in those fees when setting your price.
With the right strategy and a little bit of patience, you’ll be able to sell your DJI drone on eBay in no time.
Looking to expand your online marketplace presence and reach a wider audience? Let’s dive into Amazon, the next platform to explore for selling your DJI drone.
As one of the largest online retailers in the world, Amazon can offer excellent exposure for your DJI drone.
To start, set up a seller account and create a product listing that highlights the unique features of your drone. Make sure to include high-quality images and a detailed product description that emphasizes its condition and any accessories included.
When it comes to selling strategies, pricing tips, and negotiation tactics, Amazon offers a variety of options. You can choose to sell your drone at a fixed price or open it up to bids and let the market determine the final price. Additionally, Amazon offers a variety of advertising methods, including sponsored products and display ads, to help increase visibility and attract potential buyers.
And when it comes to shipping options, Amazon’s fulfillment services can handle the entire process from storage to delivery, giving you peace of mind and freeing up your time to focus on other aspects of selling your drone.
You can use Facebook Marketplace to reach a wider audience and showcase your aerial device to potential buyers in your local community. Here are a few tips to help you maximize profits, avoid scams, and create a compelling ad:
- Price your drone competitively: Research similar models on Facebook Marketplace and other online marketplaces to determine the best price for your drone.
- Promote your ad: Share your ad on social media, forums, and other online communities to reach a wider audience.
- Negotiate effectively: Be willing to negotiate with potential buyers, but know your bottom line and stick to it.
- Avoid scams: Only accept payment through Facebook Marketplace or a secure payment platform like PayPal.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of selling your DJI drone on Facebook Marketplace and maximizing your profits. Remember to create a compelling ad with clear pictures, a detailed description, and your asking price.
And always be cautious when dealing with potential buyers, especially those who offer to pay with cash or ask for personal information.
In this section, we’ll explore how to use Gumtree to get the most out of your pre-loved aerial device. Gumtree is a popular online marketplace in the UK that allows you to sell your DJI drone to local buyers.
To make the most of your sale, consider implementing selling tips, negotiation tactics, and price setting strategies. When selling on Gumtree, it’s important to set a fair price for your drone based on its condition, make/model, and popularity.
You can also consider offering local meetups for buyers to inspect the drone before purchasing. If you’re not comfortable with in-person transactions, you can also offer shipping options. When negotiating with potential buyers, be clear about the drone’s condition and any extras included in the sale.
By following these tips and tactics, you can maximize your profits and ensure a smooth transaction on Gumtree.
Now that you’ve explored selling your DJI drone on Gumtree, it’s time to consider another popular online marketplace: Craigslist. One advantage of using Craigslist is that there are no selling fees, which means you get to keep all the profit from your sale. However, keep in mind that there are no protections for sellers on Craigslist, so it’s important to use caution when dealing with potential buyers.
To successfully sell your DJI drone on Craigslist, you’ll need to use effective selling strategies, negotiation tactics, and pricing analysis. It’s also important to understand buyer psychology and use marketing techniques to make your listing stand out.
Here are some tips to help you sell your DJI drone on Craigslist:
- Set a fair price: Research similar drones on Craigslist and other online marketplaces to determine a fair price for your drone.
- Write a compelling ad: Use catchy headlines, clear photos, and detailed descriptions to make your listing stand out. Highlight any unique features or accessories that come with the drone.
- Be prepared to negotiate: Buyers on Craigslist are often looking for a good deal, so be prepared to negotiate on price. However, don’t be afraid to hold firm on your price if you feel it’s fair.
If you’re looking for a drone-specific marketplace to sell your DJI drone, consider checking out DroneTrader and DroneMart. These platforms offer free listings and a focus on drones, meaning you’re more likely to find interested buyers.
With DroneTrader, you can create a detailed listing and connect with potential buyers directly, while DroneMart offers a more streamlined selling process with instant offers and free shipping.
The website allows you to buy and sell used, broken, and refurbished drones, as well as accessories and miscellaneous items related to drones. If you’re looking to sell your DJI drone, you can find buying advice, pricing strategies, trade-in options, shipping tips, and repair services on the website.
DroneTrader.com also features a section for featured ads, which includes drones and accessories for sale. With categories for drones and UAVs, accessories, miscellaneous items, services, and rentals, you can easily browse or search for specific items.
The website has an iOS and Android app that allows users to post ads, message buyers and sellers, and more, making it easy to sell your DJI drone and find the perfect upgrade.
Get the best deals on UAV products, including avionics installation and fully assembled drones, at Drones Mart – your one-stop online shopping platform for all things drone-related.
With a variety of drones to choose from, including top-selling DJI models like the Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro, Drones Mart offers something for everyone. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, looking for portability or functionality, they have the drone for you.
In addition to buying drones, Drones Mart also offers tips for maintaining your drone and getting the most out of your investment. They provide valuable information on the differences between beginner and professional drones, as well as the importance of considering portability vs. functionality.
With helpful advice and a wide selection of products, Drones Mart is the perfect place to buy and sell your drone.
Renting Out Your Drone
Consider renting out your aerial device through UpSonder. It’s a platform that allows you to earn extra income while providing a service to others. UpSonder connects drone owners with people who need aerial photography or videography services.
You can set your own prices, choose the location where you want to offer your services, and work with clients who need your skills.
This can be a great way to earn some extra cash, especially if you’re not using your drone all the time. When considering renting options, it’s important to choose a platform that offers a rental agreement template, insurance options, and a pricing strategy that works for you.
UpSonder offers all of these features and more.
Their rental agreement template ensures that the terms of the rental are clear and agreed upon by both parties. Additionally, they offer insurance options to protect your equipment in case of damage or loss. As for pricing, you can set your own rates for different types of services, such as real estate photography or wedding videography.
Before renting out your drone, it’s important to make sure it’s in good condition and that you have all the necessary accessories, such as extra batteries and memory cards. You’ll also want to make sure you have the required certifications and licenses to operate your drone in your area.
Once you’re ready to rent out your drone, you can create a profile on UpSonder and start advertising your services.
Be sure to include samples of your work and a detailed description of the services you offer to attract potential clients.
Renting out your drone can be a great way to earn extra income and put your aerial device to good use. With platforms like UpSonder, it’s easy to find clients who need your skills and services. Just be sure to take the necessary precautions, such as having insurance and a rental agreement in place, to protect yourself and your equipment.
DJI Trade Up Program
The current section offers an alternative for those looking to upgrade their aerial device through the DJI Trade Up Program. This program allows customers to trade in their old DJI drone for a discount on a new one. The process is simple: select the model you want to upgrade to, answer a few questions about your old drone, and receive your discount code.
One of the main benefits of the DJI Trade Up Program is that it offers a hassle-free way to upgrade your drone.
Instead of going through the selling process, which can be time-consuming and uncertain, you can simply trade in your old drone for a discount on a new one.
Additionally, the program offers a guaranteed trade-in value, so you know exactly how much you will be getting for your old drone.
To be eligible for the DJI Trade Up Program, your old drone must be a DJI product and in working condition. You will also need to provide proof of purchase for the old drone and purchase the new drone within 20 days of receiving your discount code.
It’s important to note that the discount code can only be used once and cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions. While the DJI Trade Up Program offers a convenient way to upgrade your drone, it may not be the best option for everyone.
If your old drone is not in working condition, it may be more cost-effective to repair it instead of trading it in. Additionally, if you are looking to maximize your profit, selling your old drone may be a better option.
|Hassle-Free Process: With the DJI Trade Up Program, upgrading your drone is as easy as answering a few questions about your old drone and receiving your discount code.||Working Condition Required: Your old drone must be a DJI product and in working condition to qualify for the program. If your old drone is not in working condition, you may need to repair it first, which can be costly.|
|Guaranteed Trade-In Value: The program offers a predetermined trade-in value, so you know exactly how much discount you will get for your old drone.||Discount Limitations: The discount code you receive can only be used once and cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions. This could limit your savings, especially if there are other promotions or sales going on.|
|Quick Upgrade: It allows you to quickly and easily upgrade to a newer model without having to wait for your old drone to sell.||May Not Maximize Profit: While the DJI Trade Up Program is convenient, you might be able to get more money for your old drone if you sold it independently, especially if it’s a high-end model in good condition.|
Ultimately, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of the DJI Trade Up Program and other options before making a decision.
Donating Your Drone
Looking for a way to give back and potentially receive tax deductions?
Consider donating your aerial device to local schools or after-school programs.
Not only can you help these organizations, but you can also support the next generation of drone enthusiasts. Donating options include contacting schools or programs directly or using charitable organizations that accept drone donations.
Tax deductions are another benefit of donating your drone. You may be able to claim a deduction for the fair market value of the drone, which can offset your taxes and provide financial benefits.
However, it’s important to consult with a tax professional to ensure you follow all necessary regulations and requirements for claiming a deduction.
Giving back to your community through drone donations can also help promote positive drone use and education. By supporting schools and after-school programs, you can help provide opportunities for young people to learn about drones and potentially pursue careers in related fields.
Overall, there are many charitable organizations and educational programs that would greatly appreciate a drone donation. Not only can you potentially receive tax deductions, but you can also support the next generation of drone enthusiasts and promote positive drone use in your community.
Congratulations! You’ve made it to the end of this comprehensive guide on how to sell your DJI drone. By following the steps outlined in this article, you should be well on your way to a smooth and successful transaction.
First and foremost, it’s important to take the time to properly prepare your drone for sale. This includes cleaning and packing your device, resetting it to factory settings, and removing any personal information.
Additionally, it’s crucial to choose the right marketplace and shipping options, as well as consider any factors that may affect the value of your drone.
Whether you’re a professional drone pilot or a casual hobbyist, selling your DJI drone can be a daunting task. However, by following the tips and strategies outlined in this guide, you can navigate the world of drone sales with confidence and get the best possible price for your device.
So go ahead and clean up that drone, choose the right marketplace, and get ready to make a successful sale!